SwitchSwitch to white text on black.Switch to black text on white.
Draplin Design Co., North America
Aaron James Draplin, A History
aaron_and_dad_history.jpg Father and Son, Fall, 2004.

Bred from the loins of the proud Midwest, this little fucker was squeezed out in Detroit, in the year 1973 to the proud parents of Jim and Lauren Draplin. Growing up on a steady stream of Legos, Star Wars, family trips, little sisters, summer beach fun, stitches, fall foliage, drawing, skateboarding and snowboarding, at 19 he moved west to Bend, Oregon to hit jumps “Out West.” His career started with a snowboard graphic for Solid snowboards and took off like wildfire soon after. Everything from lettering cafe signs to drawing up logos to thinking up local advertising campaigns were manhandled under the ruse of the newly formed-and gigantically reckless-Draplindustries Design Co.

After five winters out west, the kid sobered up and headed back to Minneapolis to finish up a high-falutin’ design degree at the prestigious and painfully expensive Minneapolis College of Art and Design. During this time he polished up his design skills, learned how to weld and how to develop a photo in nasty chemicals. These were the salad days. He fell back in love with a strong Midwest that he once tried so hard to leave.

In April 2000, much to the chagrin of his proud “Midwestern Roots,” he accepted an ill-fated art director position with SNOWBOARDER magazine. He moved it all down to Shithole, Southern California-alongside some hot, caustic beach-and wrangled some 23 issues of the mag. He won “Art Director of the Year” for Primedia 2000, beating out such titles as Gun Dog, Cat Fancy and Teen. No other awards were bestowed in this period, and like he gives a rat’s ass.

Thankfully, in April 2002, the Cinco Design Office of Portland, Oregon called up and offered a Senior Designer gig which he instantly accepted. He moved it all North to the land of rain and gloom and rolled up the sleeves to work on the Gravis, Helly Hansen and Nixon accounts.

The Draplin Design Co. finally stepped out on its own four hairy feet in the fall of 2004. Some four year later, he’s proud to report that he’s managed to “keep everything out of the red.” He rolls up his sleeves for Coal Headwear, the Union Binding Company, Snowboard Magazine, Field Notes memo books, Ride Snowboards, Forum Snowboards, Grenade Gloves, Chunklet Magazine, Cobra Dogs, Absinthe Films, NemoDesign, Gnu Snowboards, RVL7 Apparel, Burton Snowboards, K2 Snowboards, Bonfire Snowboarding Apparel, South American Snow Sessions, as well as all sorts of one-off logos, t-shirt graphics and what not.

He owes it all to his parents, seriously.

There Are 162 Comments

Where does this go?

Posted by: Mike on 01/27/06 at 1:51 PM

draplin, thanks for the hat man! keep on truckin.

Posted by: jeff wastell on 10/12/06 at 2:28 PM

Thanks so much for the link man. I have a ton of stuff on flickr too. http://www.flickr.com/photos/shawn_brackbill/

Posted by: shawn brackbill on 02/22/07 at 7:39 PM

got something for gary. drop me an email man.

Posted by: Morse on 05/15/07 at 6:54 PM

love your work and commentary

Posted by: mark on 07/03/07 at 10:27 AM

I met you today while you were spending $400 on a stencil machine at an antique store! Anyone who loves type that much is ok in my book! I dig your work very much. Let’s work together on something.

Posted by: Patrick Craig on 07/08/07 at 5:54 PM

Posted by: Patrick Craig on 07/08/07 at 5:55 PM
Big Dam Gone in Your Neck of the Woods

Hey Drap, I heard they blew a dam out of the Sandy River, did you get to see that shit? Hopefully it will improve your fishin.

Posted by: CJ Girard on 07/25/07 at 11:50 AM

Big Dam Gone in your Neck of the Woods

Hey Drap, I read they blew up a big dam in your neck of the woods today. Imagine that, maybe you west coasters may just start yet another cool tradition. I hope the fishin improves for you. Later, CJHey Drap, I read they blew up a big dam in your neck of the woods today. Imagine that, maybe you west coasters may just start yet another cool tradition. I hope the fishin improves for you. Later, CJ

Posted by: CJ Girard on 07/25/07 at 11:54 AM

Big Dam Gone in your Neck of the Woods

Posted by: CJ Girard on 07/25/07 at 11:55 AM

Hmmmm…I don’t know who the hell you are, but I like you. I like you AND your bluntness. -I was doing a search trying to find some sort of weekend job, and “Carnies” crossed my mind. Ended up reading your story, and you frikkin ROCK:) -Thanks for changing my mind on that pal:)

Posted by: Sam/Samantha on 08/10/07 at 12:10 PM

Hey there! SuperWoof to Gary! He’s quite the handsome chap, and I can just tell from the site and the look on his face in the picture, that Gary ‘the Barker’ is a mischievous zany little hound dog. And I would know, being one myself! Let me introduce myself. I’m a two year old standard smooth black and tan dachshund living in London, England. And by all means, come have a sniff around my dog blog (www.philosophising.com). As your two-legged is a designer by profession, comments would be welcome.

Awoof to Gary and Aaron and all others at Draplin Design Co. (I saw your ‘A very long breed wood cut out and was impressed).

Awoof! Archie

Posted by: archibald esquire on 09/04/07 at 4:02 AM

Awoof! Archie

Posted by: archibald esquire on 09/04/07 at 4:02 AM

Just found your link in the back of this month’s Snowboard mag. I lived in boulder the past 6 years but recently moved back to maine for a while and took a job with a small advertsing and design company. I met Basher and Lucky last year during an event that Satellite and Snowboard hosted. They told me your shit was tight, but I had no idea you also worked on Coal, Union and Grenade. As a fellow Snowboarder and Art Director, I think your work is inspiring and it kicks ass. You guys are taking that magazine in the right direction and its rereshing to see a different take on snowboarding. I used to get the mag at the shop, but after I moved I bought a 2 year subscription. Best 8 bucks I’ve ever spent. Keep up the good shit!

-Chris

Posted by: avantagg on 09/22/07 at 4:42 PM

I have gotten nicer! It is true.

Anyway, trying to email you but i’ll post it here so you can get it. Maybe this is something that would interest you.
And, thanks for the kind words. If ever in LA, stop by Wed. for my type class that I am team teaching with two fellow students!

A personal heads up!
Otis will be launching an MFA in Graphic Design.
The duration of the program is three consecutive on-campus sessions in the summer plus two off-campus mentor-based session.
Three tracks of study to include:
*Social Responsibility of the Designer in Society
*Advancing the Profession through Theory and Innovation
*Typography and Type Design

Open House, late November 2007: introduction to program, meet faculty, tour facilities.
Applications Due: February 2008
Program begins: June 2008
10 appicants will be accepted each summer.

Please contact Jessica Hayes at jhayes@otis.edu if you are interested in learning more or would like to reserve a seat for the Open House.

Best,
Kali Nikitas
Director, MFA Graphic Design
Chair, Communication Arts

Posted by: kali nikitas on 09/29/07 at 12:21 PM

forgot something.
you were a great student. could not possibly forget you.
i am proud to see how well you are doing. and really pleased that your energy has not subsided one bit.
you are an exceptionally, generous and special person Aaron!

wishing you all the best!
kali

Posted by: kali nikitas on 09/29/07 at 12:24 PM

Hey Aaron,
Can you give me a call?
310 665 6841 Thanks!!!!!!
Kali

Posted by: kali nikitas on 10/01/07 at 4:53 PM

whats up shirts look good glade you are not printing at diesel they are cock suckers use stickerguy.com in reno lm is going to the bend film this week and she sowed me this i dont know how to add it so go to wienertakesall.com it a cool looking move should be at the portland film later portland rain cores check out colins sandwichshop its the guy you met at seiones hes a friend from back home its at belmont & 61st later

Posted by: fink the man on 10/11/07 at 10:48 AM

your a man of epic Porportion. Marry My Sister haha

Posted by: Mitchell McKolay on 10/15/07 at 9:04 AM

Hey Aaron great meeting you over the weekend. Hope to stay in touch. I love you stuff.

I have a few pics of you up. still working on getting the rest up. And

Posted by: Long Nguyen on 10/16/07 at 10:26 PM

Hey Aaron,
I’ve been reading your blog for a while and it’s great. Just ordered some Field Notes as well and they’re awesome. Have you ever thought of letterpressing the cover? If you’re interested, let me know as I’ve added an old C&P to my studio. Come check it out next time your in Minneapolis and I’ll buy you the best bowl of Pho this side of Saigon.
Todd

Posted by: The Angel Bomb on 12/20/07 at 8:06 AM

aaron - i’m a friend of lee’s here in t.c. i’m opening a cool little boutique in building 50 and i’d love to carry your field notes and i don’t think the place will be successful unless i can get some of those 6” rulers to be displayed proudly at their side. what do you think? let me know how i can order them. i open in march and would love to get them before the 15th opening. thanks so much
i have to say i’ve had a great 45 minutes meandering through your site. hope to talk with you soon. dawn

Posted by: dawn campbell on 01/06/08 at 11:03 AM

so Aaron i was wondering if you might be able to hook me up with one of those tees….anyone will do Gary, Name tag, or the Orig! you let me know keep the faith. keep it strong and keep it tight.

Posted by: Mitchell McKolay on 01/14/08 at 5:46 PM

so what’s the difference between pink and purple? ha ha hey man. I just wanted to again thank you for taking the time to come all the way to fremont to share your thoughts on design. That was a lot of fun tonight and I would love to talk some more if youa re up to it. I am graduating this quarter with my BFA in graphic design and I have worked my entire life to make sure that one day I could work in the industry. I would love to hear your thoughts on how I can continue to make that happen. Thanks again man and I must say your a freakin comical guy and I love it….

peace and respect

Tyler

Posted by: Tyler Mallory on 01/17/08 at 9:48 PM

Hello sir,
Just wanted to say thank you for coming up to our city and imbuing your design insights and experiences its rare to have a room with you guys in it and the time to talk. as well I had a question for you if you can‚€™t answer I completely understand, you mentioned that you print your catalogs in Taiwan, we have been printing in Canada but it‚€™s expensive and the page count is limited, if it‚€™s possible would you be willing to share your source for printing? Well see you soon in Vegas, come by our booth and say hello..

Posted by: stefan hofmann on 01/18/08 at 11:43 AM

DUDE…. I got involved in a hit and run today… the idiot seriously got out of his truck yelled at me a little and then drove off, but because I had my field notes trusty 48 page memo book with graph paper / Durable Material…. I got the guys license plate number, I love these things It will actually save me some money….

thanks

Posted by: Tyler Mallory on 02/04/08 at 11:29 PM

Hey! My name is Dayne Pillow and I am a Graphic Design student at the Metropolitan State College of Denver. I’m doing research for a magazine project and noticed that you’re the Graphic Designer for Snowboard Magazine. I was wondering if you could help me answer a couple questions about featuring products in a publication.

Are there restrictions for mentioning product names/companies in articles?

Can I get in legal trouble if I criticize a company for having a sub-par product?

If I have a photograph with a logo in it, like on a tent in the background, do I need permission from the company to publish the image?

What are the legalities of having a gear/equipment section? Do you have to pay a company to feature their equipment?

I think these questions cover my big concerns. I thank you for your time and effort in looking at my email. I know you’re busy and have a hectic schedule.

Dayne Pillow

ps_ The Flaming Lips kick ass!

Posted by: Dayne Pillow on 02/19/08 at 1:44 PM

hey draplin!
i admire your work and all but hey, when are you going to post the most recent “coal” catalogs? just wondering….

Posted by: orville esoy on 06/11/08 at 8:54 AM

Hey Aaron,

Please email me with your private address; i have some requests for Onboard Magazine in Europe! Like to feature something on Draplin / Field notes etc

Dig your stuff man - real nice!

Cheers,
Justin Day

Art Director
ONBOARD MAGAZINE
(London)

Posted by: Justin Day on 07/25/08 at 4:34 AM

yeah stuff is great
love it !
i’m a git me one of your hats !
might pick me up a notebook now that its for sale in Toronto
keep it up

Posted by: fatrobot on 07/31/08 at 12:48 PM

I thought of some of your images when I saw this. The lamp is a spent shell from a very large gun. Keep up the great work.

Posted by: Frank The Tank on 08/04/08 at 8:19 PM

Hey Aaron - watched you talk about your tragic experience at the Sunset Motel.

All I can say to the grievance you’re filing is: “Exactly.” I’m a happy family-man-working-stiff so I’m not on the road much, but when I can I am doing my best to preserve photographic evidence of a time when Americans gave two shits about the way their environment looked. I can’t create my way out of a paper bag, but I know ethical design when I see it. I hope you don’t mind if I share the collection with you in the hope it’ll provide more encouragement and motivation. Knowing designers like you are out there dropping F-Bombs on contemporary sign makers makes me feel a little better. Keep it up, man.

-dank

Posted by: Dank on 08/19/08 at 8:47 PM

I just saw that video short on “the sign”‚€”fucking genius, can’t wait to see this documentary. Nice work.

Posted by: alanvalek.com on 08/29/08 at 7:54 PM

dude,
you totally rule with your passionate video teaser i found on gold digger blog. i am from petoskey mi, and i have a little red mini just like gary. omg
i live is sf now with my man and our son.
i would have cried for that woman who got raped by those mfing design jackoffs too.
just sayin.
props to you. you are rad and i am anxious for the doco.
i will attempt to request for friendship via facebook in a few days, so you will know who the f i am.
your design is so great. kepp up the great work.
a+ brother.
ariana beels

Posted by: ariana beels on 09/02/08 at 4:20 PM

Hey, I saw your video “America Is F*cked……. Graphically at least)” and I fell in love with it (no homo). Just wish that there’s more people like you around. Is it possible that I can embed your video or something, just a thought. Is there any ending to that story?

Chris, Singapore

(A fan of yours after watching that video)

Posted by: Chris Kalis on 09/04/08 at 12:56 AM

Aaron,

I really love the video. I have done the exact same thing and now I own many old metal signs from the 50’s & 60’s that have been replaced by shit. I think you may like the stuff I sell / restore. I am in the business of restoring and selling vintage advertising art, vintage posters. I love knowing that I am preserving this amazing for of art that most people don’t notice or take for granted.

I really like the Obama poster you designed. I would love to buy a few from you to put in the window of one of my galleries in Marfa TX. Marfa is a big Obama town and they also “get it” .

Lee
www.samuelowengallery.com

Posted by: Lee Milazzo on 09/16/08 at 7:24 AM

Aaron -
I want to send you a role of stickers from an old government agency that you’d really dig.
address?
cannot find it on your blog.

Justin

Posted by: Justin Sirois on 09/26/08 at 7:08 AM

I thought this would be appreciated here, especially after seeing the video ‚€œAmerica Is F*cked‚€¶‚€¶. Graphically at least)‚€ .

-mark

Posted by: marknyc on 10/23/08 at 7:10 PM

Hey Aaron. I graduated from MCAD as of recently and I am now in the full blown corperate bullshit field - as well as the personal freelance on the side . Life, is alright and my bills are paid. Anyways, I was wondering, how you got your start in the industry. If you just created a brand and went from there - did freelance until the cows came home…or if you interned at snowboard mag and went from there….anyways, a friend of mine that worked for you named Isaac B. says hello.

thanks,
Josh VP

Posted by: Joshua W. Van Patter on 10/29/08 at 11:00 AM

Please call or email me.

Posted by: Dunnett on 11/01/08 at 5:33 PM

Can you say slogan stealer??? Bachmann’s, Central Lake, MI…

Posted by: Susie on 11/08/08 at 6:44 PM

Just got the DDC socks and gotta say theyre amazing. Also, thanks for the extra field notes. I got a few way back when and now Im set for the foreseeable future(-e +a?)

also, the “Missouri Wind” in the address part was great - its one of the things that makes DDC amazing. Gary did a top notch job packaging them. maybe he was a sandwich packer in a past life?

Posted by: Rich on 12/04/08 at 9:06 PM

good to run into you the other day at thee taco shop. just skimmed your site, pretty cool. did you really work as a carny?..liked the cheeta fight pics. gives me a few ideas, . i still have some stickers you gave me adorning my mountain bike from way back in 96?

Posted by: dulce on 12/18/08 at 12:39 PM

Too damn funny. Found the little shit that used to drive that white piece-of-crap minivan blowing blue smoke. Looks like you’ve come a long way, good for you, hard work does pay off. You always had the talent. Eating those damn Super Burritos. I like the ‘Nickle-Gate’ comment. Good to see your in P-town. Ever make it back over to Mt. B?
Anyway, this is Shaun, the tall bastard that you always were giving lip to…
Take it easy.

Posted by: Shaun Little on 01/24/09 at 1:34 PM

Aaron, its your nephew Tyler, i need to speak to you about some snowboarding design opportunities, could you please email me as soon as possible.

Posted by: Tyler Lukasiak on 02/14/09 at 4:21 PM

Congrats on being able to serve our country with that logo. What an honor it must have been for you.

piece.
soli

Posted by: soli on 03/05/09 at 9:41 PM

Hey Aaron, I was doing some research and came across this…

someone’s biting your style…locally.

Hope you are well!
Shanta M.

Posted by: Shanta M.W. Prescott on 03/10/09 at 8:29 AM

um, i’m like in luv with your website. enjoying your streams of consciousness immensely— giving mondo inspiration to my free time. it’s easy to see why you get paid. you make it look easy and fun. total web-crush.

Posted by: molly on 03/11/09 at 1:01 PM

hey aaron,
thanks for the inspiration. i have been doing this along time and continue to be amazed and inspired. we have been down south junkin’ a long time. i love to see the shit you guys find. thanks
g

Posted by: gil shuler on 03/17/09 at 1:43 PM

Nice work Aaron, if we can ever join forces (video or film project), please drop me a line. I’m gonna blog about your excellent design. Cheers, Ted http://www.2headedhorse.blogspot.com

Posted by: Ted Newsome on 04/06/09 at 1:06 PM

Aaron,
I’m looking to do an article on DDC for Examiner.com. I recently published one on Wire & Twine and did an interview with Chris Glass. Perhaps I could interview you, too?
Lemme know.
Thanks,
Fish

Posted by: Fish on 05/06/09 at 11:15 AM

Hey Aaron, I just finished up some custom packaging and design for a twitter mix cd. I wanted to share the logo I came up with, with you. I am always inspired by coming here and seeing the nostalgic simplicity of icons and logos you guys post up. I think that bled in to my subconscious and was regurgitated in to this. Take it easy.

Posted by: kyle steed on 05/11/09 at 12:56 PM

Dear friend
I am sorry to interrupt you,our company Acmepuncher Co., Ltd provide you high quarlity and low price Digitizing & Embroidery service.
Attention !
For the first design we just accept half charge .
If you think you are intersted in our embroidery and digitizing ,please contact us:
Email : art@acmepuncher.com
Website: www.acmepuncher.com
Thanks a lot.
Best wishes
Yours
Jacy

Posted by: Jacy on 05/12/09 at 5:05 PM

Love your work! How do I get a poster from the show?

-Matt

Posted by: Matt Ciaglia on 05/27/09 at 10:44 AM

Hey, you might like some of the designs shown in the gallery, here…

Posted by: martin on 06/23/09 at 8:16 AM

Saw this quote and thought of you and Field Notes:

I write down everything I want to remember. That way, instead of spending a lot of time trying to remember what it is I wrote down, I spend the time looking for the paper I wrote it down on.
- Beryl Pfizer

Beryl Pfizer - a man in need of Field Notes.

Posted by: Todd Piper-Hauswirth on 07/30/09 at 6:59 AM

sorry we missed you when we were doing interviews in portland for the david carson documentary. maybe we can do something remotely.

Posted by: charlie trefry on 08/01/09 at 3:15 AM

Aaron, go to this site immediately. It’s hilarious.

Posted by: Liz Sukola on 08/26/09 at 7:47 AM

We need more photos of Gary (ASAP).

Posted by: Liz Sukola on 10/07/09 at 1:27 PM

FWIW…in about an hour, around 11am, KCRW (kcrw.org) will be streaming a live set from your friends, The Flaming Lips.

Posted by: rich on 10/16/09 at 9:56 AM

big city dongstick… i like that; perhaps trumps my “cockstain”!

Posted by: eric j. on 10/29/09 at 10:46 AM

Hi Aaron.

I spoke with you at Design Camp regarding the possibility of your doing a residency/workshop at Minnesota State University, Mankato sometime next academic year.

Please be in touch so that we may start the discussion and I can make a proposal to the Enrichment Committee.

Hope all is well. Harlan Bloomer

Posted by: Harlan Bloomer on 11/04/09 at 8:49 AM

I had a great time at your keynote for the Savannah Geekend tonight. Probably the best presentation I’ve seen at any of these conferences in a long time. Thanks again for a great chat.

Posted by: Lisa on 11/06/09 at 8:59 PM

I met you at Geekend - thanks for the inspiring talk, poster, and handshake. I wish my husband was there to see you … to see that it is cool to save old design like I do. My treasure is his junk.

Posted by: Steph on 11/08/09 at 11:04 AM

Greetings Aaron - just got my package of DDC stuff in the mail - thanks for the extra goodies. Much appreciated. And thanks for inspiring design realism.

Posted by: Ron K. White on 11/21/09 at 1:17 PM

Any chance of are reissue of the Anvil Strength Torso Cover? Sold out right now, I want one.

Posted by: Also Aaron on 12/29/09 at 12:17 PM

Aaron as I live and breathe, just ran into Jon Dayton downtown TC and he gave me your web address.

Looks like things are great for you. I bump into your old man from time to time and he keeps me up on your progress.

It’s good to see another form our college class doing what we set out to do!

Congrats!

Dean

Posted by: Dean Rose on 01/06/10 at 5:33 PM

NEW ART TOY - The artisan toy you have NEVER seen before.

!!!!!
If you can not see any images below, You can check it at

Posted by: ari on 02/11/10 at 12:13 AM

We need you!!
i know your good.. remix Android!!!
email me!

Posted by: Al on 02/19/10 at 6:54 PM

I have a new product I need a logo for. Can you contact me so we can discuss the product,logo design, pricing, etc.?
Thanks.
Narik McArthur

Posted by: Narik on 02/24/10 at 12:36 PM

Hey there Mr. Draplin.
I would love to talk to you about a really fun project.

Hope all is well.

Paul Safsel
( your co-NM addy judge )

Posted by: Paul Safsel on 03/29/10 at 10:27 AM

aaron -

i’m the executive producer for a site run by adobe’s experience design team. every week we invite people in the creative and development industry to write along with us, as guest authors. this group of about 100 people have long been fans of DDC and we’d be honored to have participate on inspire (the site).

we’re launching CS5 in a week and as i said, we’d love to have you contribute to this upcoming issue. it’s not about marketing the product or advertising it. in fact, we encourage our guests to be critical of what we do… if you have any good things to say, about our tools, etc, when then we’re happy about that too.

can i give you a call to chat about this?

chris

Posted by: chris heimbuch on 04/08/10 at 4:38 PM

Hi,
Big fan of your blog love the design you put up! I am not a designer by trade but I love art and appreciate many aspects of it. Anywho; I came across this video maybe you have seen it, maybe not but it was awesome and seemed like something up your alley.

Enjoy!

Posted by: Duluth Minnesota on 04/29/10 at 9:44 AM

I agree. 1000 percent.

lets do this

best regards
steve

Posted by: steve powers on 05/03/10 at 8:45 AM

Aaron
Thanks for the PACKAGE! You are the greatest.

Posted by: Todd on 05/14/10 at 10:20 AM

Excellent job.

Posted by: branding agency london on 05/17/10 at 12:16 AM

Yes, MCAD is painfully expensive. And its adjunct professors are poorly paid, but the craft is important.

Posted by: Eric Hanson on 05/20/10 at 11:09 AM

Sorry, I never got back to you about the project I wanted to talk to you about. Life is CRAZY busy.
All good stuff though. When can we chat? You’re the perfect person for this logo.
Call me on my cell. 914-548-8139

Posted by: Paul Safsel on 05/25/10 at 12:43 PM

this is kind of hokey but might inerest you…

Posted by: Marc Schemansky on 06/05/10 at 3:52 AM
Posted by: Marc Schemansky on 06/05/10 at 3:58 AM

I was told that I was just like you. Kali Was my type teacher as well. (even though, when she was, I hated typography) check out my deal dude…www.septerhed.com.

please email me so we can chat.
I have some ?’s for you

tnx
nathan

Posted by: Nathan Sansom on 06/13/10 at 2:13 AM

i don’t visit this site enough, and always lose (gain?) an hour when i do.
keep it up! met you years ago, and glad you’re in our world. The Minutemen! yes yes yes!

Posted by: john logic on 07/16/10 at 11:33 PM

Hey there Mister.
Just wanted to follow up on Scott’s comments.
Are you cool with the changes?

Posted by: Paul on 07/26/10 at 9:49 AM

Saw this link at Dinosaurs and Robots. pretty cool:

Posted by: Jaimie Muehlhausen on 07/28/10 at 3:57 PM

this may interest you

Posted by: Marc S on 08/21/10 at 12:24 PM

Hey man,
I am a fellow designer handlin’ business in SF.
I was just peepin’ your new ID section, and saw you did the Paul Rodriguez and Stephan Janoski marks. So Rad. I have been skating my whole life, when I saw those marks I was really impressed. I knew Nike SB hired someone that knew what was happnin’!
Really stoked to see you did those. My mystery is solved…

Kerry

Posted by: Kerry Flynn on 08/28/10 at 11:17 PM

Love the site and all the links you share, but recently a Dad_Chat file has been opening and downloading every time I visit.

Posted by: Matt on 10/03/10 at 7:49 PM

Is there any way that a guy 1000 miles away from Mancato could watch your 14 rules and 4 hour logo talk? If there is, a link would be appreciated.

Posted by: T on 10/09/10 at 8:44 AM

Aaron! Super stoked that you’re coming to town and doing a show. I will be at the opening for sure however I’ll be departing a bit early to check out Warren Miller’s “Wintervention” film.

-geoff

Posted by: Geoffrey Schley on 10/15/10 at 1:53 PM
Posted by: The Minneapolis Egotist on 10/22/10 at 8:41 AM

Hey, I saw this online and immediately thought of you: http://www.kikkerlandshop.com/us06.html

Wish I could see the wall of all your logos! Will you be posting any pictures of it?

Jen

Posted by: Jenny on 10/25/10 at 11:25 AM

Aaron, thought this might give you a little kick…

Was good to meet you when you were here in AK.

Best,

Ben

Posted by: Benjamin on 02/16/11 at 12:52 PM

Hey Aaron,
Overdue thanks for all the great stuff you sent us.
We all carry a Fieldnotes book wherever we go.
Great stuff Thanks
Love you

Tom

Posted by: Tom Draplin on 03/01/11 at 8:34 AM

Hey dude,

Been rocking your hat way up in Duluth MN, and people have been coming up to me saying how awesome your work is! Never knew I was among so many fans up here its great!

Posted by: Luoma on 03/22/11 at 8:40 PM

Glad to meet awesome person like you Aaron. I’m so pissed at myself that I missed your speech at Y conference. Until, next time.

Just found that you’re the man behind Transmit 4 logo. I love Panic and I love you.

Posted by: Saya on 03/26/11 at 4:23 PM

This man really is a part of history. I’m sure that his son will perpetuate his father’s work.

I really enjoyed reading this article.

Posted by: Sarah on 03/27/11 at 9:40 AM

I think you need to check this little guy out….

Posted by: Meghan on 03/28/11 at 5:06 PM

I love you.

Posted by: Sheri.R.Smith on 04/11/11 at 1:10 PM

ok, so im probably really late at the comment thing, it seems like everybody has known about your dealings for some time now. Anyway, im completely stuck on your videos and work, collectively i have studied all your makings and time spent. im on your program and i love how you guys are taking it back! i find signs everyday that i commandeer and keep safe from this illusive time, current crap and shit fucks who dont keep real americana safe. THANK YOU, for reinstating this passion of real graphics and keeping it sacred!

Posted by: Jack McCann on 04/21/11 at 8:15 PM

Hey, on the off chance that you are out and about in the next couple of days, thought I would mention that I will be over in Bend doing a couple of daytime speaking gigs and night time drinking beer. I know Bend isn’t right around the corner or anything, but I would hate to have found out later that you were in the area and we just didn’t know. If for any reason you are over that way, my cell is 760-699-4303.

Jaimie

Posted by: Jaimie Muehlhausen on 04/27/11 at 11:59 AM

A friend of Sinuhe Xavier… he sent me a picture of a Maple and Bacon donut today - and he dropped your name ;)
X

Posted by: Graeme on 04/27/11 at 12:45 PM

I ran across this today and thought of you right away, I am sure you have already seen it but here is a great start to a great weekend.

Posted by: Mike Hanyzewski on 07/01/11 at 7:54 AM

Hi Mr. Draplin

Im a fellow artist, but younger and with less of a reputation and I guess I want your opinion on my art if you can give it. My friend Eric met you in Portland Oregon at some point and since then has been a supporter of your art. He hooked me up with some of your stickers and I then checked out your work myself. I think your work is awesome and if you found the time I would like to show you my art. I post my work at www.greythreads.tumblr.com Anyways have a good one and keep up the good work that you do.

Posted by: Spencer on 07/12/11 at 2:00 PM

Missed you when visiting Mpls.
Is it possible to order the Minnesota poster I see hanging in the cubes of fellow creatives at Target?

Posted by: rae ann anders on 09/08/11 at 1:21 PM

what year is the forum recon 156 graphics from,or what year did the board come out?
ive been trying to find out and cant seem to do it,thanks if you can help answer this.

Posted by: heath yertsay on 09/28/11 at 5:05 PM

When is the Draplin Project set to launch? Been waiting for about 3 years }: |

Posted by: Baron Samedi on 01/19/12 at 7:31 PM
Posted by: Chris Browne on 01/19/12 at 11:37 PM

Hi Aaron,

I saw you give a talk at MCAD and at the Walker on the 6th March and was inspired. The way you see design is so unpretentious and I feel how it should be, not to blow your trumpet or anything. I was wondering and this is a big wonder if at some point in the relatively near future there was a chance to get an internship at DDC? I am studying at the University of East London (2nd year) and to be honest funds are pretty tight so I don’t think I would even make it to the US until next year (hopefully sooner), but thought I’d ask as I would love to learn some more!

Anyways thanks again for the talk and thanks for the field notes!

Josh

Posted by: Josh Walz on 03/21/12 at 12:09 PM

Aaron,

Sorry for the message board attempt to connect but here goes nothing.

I met you a couple years back on a C3 sales meeting at Stevens Pass. I was working with the guys in the Canadian Distribution and you were the designer for Coal that taught me how to eat “10 minute deep fried chicken” in a shitty little saloon near Johans cabin.

Long story short, I’m a fan of your design work and I’ve tried my best to follow your projects all the way up to your latest day 89 with Kern and Bern. I know we have lost touch over the years but I figured this was worth a try. Hopefully anyways.

When I started a little passion project call the bneeth Time Capsule, it was a way to get a bunch of people in the same area and inspire one another to express ourselves via experiences and viewpoints that we grew up on and formed ourselves. I know your time is a hard one to give up so I appreciate you getting this far.

I’m a big fan of your work, and I’ve wanted to reach out to you for a while and ask if you would like to write a column or two on design for the Bneeth Time Capsule Project that is happening over at www.bneeth.com

Its up and running with a bunch of amazing contributors (photographers, writers, videographers, and one lone designer), but the end goal is to publish a couple blog entries from each person into a coffee table book.

When I think of the final outcome (coffee table) I was hoping to include a few more people that are part of making our industry what it is from a designer point of view.

Anyways, feel free to consider this message as a formal invite to become a contributor for a few pieces. Give the site a look and let me know your thoughts.

Hope all is well on your end. Thanks for the 1:13:31 presentation on thinking for yourself (walkerartcentre)

Mike Scott
mike@bneeth.com

Posted by: Mike Scott on 03/27/12 at 11:11 AM

Your talk on creative mornings taught me about myself.

Thanks a million

Russ

Posted by: Russell on 04/01/12 at 2:23 PM

Hey DUDE, having watched your talk, I thought you’d like this quote from Cicero, a Roman philosopher:

“Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the mother of all virtues.”

Posted by: Richard Hawkins on 04/11/12 at 9:52 AM

Hey Mister,

we never saw each other etc. I just saw your thing on creativemornings in portland. Nice, really nice. My parents own a family business making shirts (dress shirts, the real stuff you would never wear) in Czech Republic. We have been together with a Czech designer for many years by now. Really cool guy. I though of him many times listening to you, he is fast, gets his stuff done, does it well. When there is some pressing issue he works evenings and weekends, creative on his own too. Doing real work, being fair and doing it well. Check him out if you want: funkfu.net
Thanks for your words, the last rule is true. Respect and support to You, Mister.
Vera

Posted by: Vera Vavrova on 04/14/12 at 2:15 AM

Really enjoyed your presentation/talk at Zeba Design a couple of weeks ago. Found some great sites that would be a great hook for you:

Let me know if you need some help on your “road show”.

Mike J.

Posted by: Mike Johnson on 04/18/12 at 6:46 AM

Aaron,
Sorry I missed you after the interview. Email back, frank.dankwa@gmail.com! Thanks man

Posted by: Frank on 04/24/12 at 1:45 PM

Yo Draplin! So good hanging out last night, thanks for visiting Burlington, thanks for the free merch and thanks supporting the family. It really means a lot to us. Send me your email and I’ll send you some ROUGH FRANCIS tracks. See you soon bro!

-bobby (jr)-

Posted by: Bobby Hackney (jr) on 05/10/12 at 12:48 PM

Hi Draplin,I love your stuff I am thinking about start a T-Shirt label ,can you give me your business contact details so that I can communicate with you.

Regards

Christian

Posted by: Christian Ribeiro on 06/06/12 at 3:43 AM

Hey Aaron,
I found a link to a lecture you gave at Walker Art Center. I saw the Alaska Poster and had to come here to check it out…Coming from Fairbanks Alaska (live here in Portland now), just wanted to say you nailed the essence of Alaska, from North to South….really sick composition! Your shits really inspiring as a graphic design student…thanks again
Aaron

Posted by: Aaron Boyle on 06/16/12 at 5:28 PM

Aaron,
The summer of “97” was an awesome ride, Going North and South in Alaska on Princess tours rail. I’ll never forget that you held the record for the most sleeping on the train.
I got in trouble because, Matt threw melons off the smoking deck while going over Hurricane Gulch. All the passengers were complaining about it. Kester blamed me for letting him do it. Take care, Patrick Knowlton

Posted by: Patrick Knowlton on 08/23/12 at 4:59 PM

Thanks for the great talk at Portland/CreativeMornings.

Posted by: Ann Laufer on 09/04/12 at 9:43 AM

The paypal link on the Envelope Eviscerator is wrong it put in something worth 14$ instead of the 5$

Posted by: Frank on 09/05/12 at 8:34 AM

I saw this site and thought, “Damn, this has Draplin written all over it”

Mike J

Posted by: Mike Johnson on 09/05/12 at 10:29 AM

Aaron - thought you’d like this:

on another note: where do I send images of type examples to you?

regards,
Anna

Posted by: Anna Rubino on 09/09/12 at 5:03 PM

Hi Aaron - I have some typography & packaging images I’d like to send your way -please let me know where to send - thanks, Anna

Posted by: Anna Rubino on 09/12/12 at 12:47 PM

I was just wondering if there is any way i can order a Utah poster from you?

Thanks, Regan

Posted by: Regan McLain on 09/14/12 at 11:26 AM

You have to make an NYC poster!!!!!

Posted by: Emily on 09/20/12 at 1:21 AM

The motel sign story on You Tube was amazing. Have you ever been to the mountains of Puerto Rico? (I live in Dorado P.R.) There is so much cool design up - there, and nobody gets it, people were too poor to buy new stuff and now the old things are being replaced with the new… crap!
Mid- century stuff that people just, throw out. Like bar stools that swirl around and amazing iron work beds and shit. You are as jazzed up as me? Let’s rent a truck and drive up there and get that stuff, take pictures of the owners and put it all in a cool bar, or cafe, or house, …or something.
I wish you could drive up there with me sometime. It would be fun.
Thanks,
Lisa Penfield

Posted by: lisa penfield on 09/28/12 at 6:40 PM

Aaron -
Yo whats up!!!!! For starters you put some wacked out sh*# on the web, congrats. I like what your doing-bringing the old and forgotten back from the dead.
I’m new to the graphic design of things. I have not been to school for it, i have been creating art for a while and want to break in to “design of the graphics”. Would you recommend me an Apple software program(s) that is geared to a beginner/ quick/ excited learner??

Many props - Cho

Posted by: winston correll on 10/05/12 at 12:56 PM

Hi Draplin Design!
My name is Mike Canning and I am from Little Silver,NJ in Monmouth County. I fell in LOVE with your work the first time I saw it on my Flipboard account through Werd.com. I was looking for a New Jersey poster but didn’t see one.

When Hurricane Sandy hit, my town and the neighboring towns were hit hard, some absolutely decimated. I write to you to ask you for help. As most of us in this area, we are deeply affected by this storm, but resolve to come back strong and proud.

I am working with my job as a high school English teacher on food, clothing, necessary items for those families and students who lost a lot, sometimes everything. I would be so appreciative if you guys could maybe create a Jersey Shore poster or a New Jersey poster or something. We could possibly use the posters for fundraising efforts for local charities/shelters.? I see with your work many famous places, landmarks, businesses, wordplay, nicknames, and so forth. I could help you guys in getting those logos and stuff if you needed! I just think it would be such a kick ass idea and would be so effing appreciated.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this and once again your work is totally awesome!!

Shorely Yours,
Michael Canning

Posted by: Michael Canning on 11/03/12 at 8:49 PM

Thanks for your recent interview on DesignMatters. Good sh*t!

Posted by: YD on 11/05/12 at 8:47 AM

I know that you make State Posters, which are pretty bad ass I must say, but I noticed that there wasn’t one for California. I also noticed that under your “Things We Say” link I found #12. ‚€œI fucking hate California.‚€ (Broken Record Diatribe.)
I hope this doesn’t affect you guys making a California State Poster. I’m hoping to possibly procure one once, and if, they come to fruition. (Oh, and if you do get around to making one, can you please be sure to add the city of Santa Rosa with maybe something that has to do with Snoopy since that’s where the great Charles Schultz spent his last glorious years…and it’s also my hometown.) ¬°Muchas Gracias!

Posted by: Oscar P. on 11/07/12 at 5:43 PM

Just finished listening to your interview with Debbie Millman. You’re awesome!

Posted by: Juan Mondragón on 11/09/12 at 4:36 PM

do you have a wisconsin poster??

Posted by: mitch ciohon on 11/10/12 at 10:14 AM

Love your state posters! Any chance you are going to release one for North Carolina? Would love to see one in red white and blue…

Posted by: Curt on 11/13/12 at 10:22 PM

Hey Aaron! Just heard your interview on Design Matters. Man, you are a breath of fresh air! I’ve listened to a lot of designers say a lot of crap, but there’s something different about you. You’re *real.* The next interview I listened to was some crap about brand strategy and I just couldn’t take it anymore. Anyway, thanks. And keep being awesome!

Posted by: Fred on 11/16/12 at 12:23 PM

I found your site by way of a post on www.foxinthepine.com and fell in love with your Washington state poster. I ordered 2 just in time for Christmas! Great work!

Posted by: Juliana on 11/28/12 at 12:09 PM

I too love your state posters. Any chance for another great midwest state like Wisconsin being made?

Posted by: Tyler on 12/01/12 at 2:16 PM

Hey Aaron, I’ve been meaning to send you a note or a case of some quality wet goods since I first saw the video of your 50 whatevers you presented for your Creative Mornings talk. But, you know how life gets too busy in this business. Plus, I had no burning reason to bother you, beyond saying hello, and I’m sure we know a bunch of the same people, and I appreciate the honest way you approach things; you know, that stuff. Anyway, then I got this invite to your Tall Tales talk here in Puddleburg. I thought, hey, that’s something worth checking out. Hey, maybe it’s even online. That would be convenient. Nope. But I did discover that this library in Somerville, MA (God, I love libraries) gave out free tickets to this show when you presented Tall Tales there, unlike this PAF outfit. I think they’re grubbing for $40 or $50. I don’t know much about Somerville, but the question in my head is how come they’re so much better than us about passing on the love and information? Where’s the Portland library talk with the free tickets? Okay, that’s enough from me. Hope to meet you sometime.
Cheers, Hank

Posted by: Hank Hosfield on 12/04/12 at 4:15 PM

Hi Aaron,

I’m from Citrix and just thanked you for what you said today (orange dress). Yes, what you said needs to be said about design, life, etc.. - a lot of us feel that way and it’s good to hear it out loud. :)

Or it’s good to see someone with the courage to say what they want to say, regardless of how it may be received or if it will be agreed with. Inspiring :)

Keep being real.

Posted by: Quynh on 12/07/12 at 11:29 AM

I just received a set of Field Notes “Washington”. Any chance I can land a set of Field Notes “Texas”? Actually a few sets?

Posted by: Dennis on 12/18/12 at 10:45 AM

Bro, dying for a Virginia poster. Don’t see one posted in the merch section. Hook a brother up.

Posted by: Buck Cram on 12/26/12 at 6:52 PM

I NEED an everything Wisconsin poster and I’m sure many of us Wisconsinites would agree.

Posted by: Shane on 01/11/13 at 11:55 AM

Re issue of the action caps any time soon?

Posted by: Billy on 01/14/13 at 7:20 AM

Aaron. Loved your talk in Boise. It was truly inspiring to a young student. Thanks for coming out.

Posted by: Bree on 01/29/13 at 2:03 PM

Aaron,
Just watched a video link of a Creative Morning through CC Chapman. My company is a few hundred miles down I5 and we would welcome you anytime you are passing through. I think you would enjoy our space and appreciate the small-town benefits.

I shared your work with my business partner/designer and there are a ton of similarities in your designs…
Keep up the good work.. One thing that hit me hard was the importance of friends and the ability to do good work for them.

Cheers.

Ray

Posted by: Ray Bartram on 01/30/13 at 1:14 PM

My name is Chris Henson and I am 49 years old. I like to watch trains and listen to music. Your website is awesome, although it doesn’t have as many naked women as the other porn sites I’ve been to. Also, if “laughter is the best medicine,” your website is that guy in a shirt who sells angel dust real cheap. Funny as a mother fucker. And you know how funny those are. I did not hear your interview, but am relieved to know that you sounded “real.”

Posted by: Chris Henson on 02/04/13 at 6:52 AM

Hi Aaron, I’m currently a GDSN student @ Montana State University in Bozeman, MT. When I saw that you’re coming for a lecture I freaked out. You’re a designer that I look up to and I look forward to your presentation. This is a little random, but if you’re in Bozeman, MT friday the 22, I’d like to invite you to check out our ROBOT themed show @ Wild Joes Coffee on main st. The show is a collaboration of local robot inspired art, performance, music, costumes, the robot works. I’ll also be showing my comic with life size robot/cardboard/handcrafted/recycled/7’ characters. If you’re here that early I would love for you to check out the show and am looking forward to your presentation. Designers like you are the inspiration for all us little designers trying to keep it real and create something other than meaningless crap. Thanks, -Catalin Corrigan

Paper Robot and Spark Plug
original/recycled/handcrafted comics

Robots Everything Show

Posted by: Catalin Corrigan on 02/15/13 at 10:09 PM

Very Vermont shirt? Please!

Posted by: ryan on 02/17/13 at 11:17 PM

Aaron, great lecture in Bozeman. It was fun to hear your stories and see your work. I especially liked the John Hughes story and thinking about those Uncle Buck business cards left for some random person in a taxi. Thanks for sharing with us and inspiring the young designers. Keep up the good work. Hope to see you around some time.

Posted by: Chris Schultz on 02/27/13 at 10:20 AM

Hey Mr. Draplin…just wanted to say I love your style of graphics…kinda they way I hope to design being from the Venice/Santa Monica area in CA…great artwork:) It has some great energy vibes. plz let me know if you are ever interested in getting a tshirt line started with your artwork I would love to help you!

Posted by: jackie on 03/20/13 at 9:12 AM

My boss ordered one of your California posters and when it came in I opened it and when putting it back in the tube, I accidently bent one of the corners and now the poster is damaged. I am desperate to get a new one to replace the one i damaged. Please let me know where I can order the California poster ASAP. I’m not terribly concerned with the cost, I just want to replace it for him as he was going to have it matted and framed. Thank you so much!

Posted by: Nikki on 05/14/13 at 9:39 AM

Hi Aaron, I’m sobering up in Reno and ready to start designing some shit. Just watched your spotlight episode on the Adobe site and ventured on over to here and before I knew it I was pressing the PayPal button for your NV poster. Thanks so much for your inspiration today! This comment box is my ‘square one’.

Posted by: Raj on 06/02/13 at 8:50 AM

Hey Aaron,
Just watched the talk you gave back in March ‘12 for the Portland/CreativeMornings. I really enjoyed what you had to say. It was inspiring and a great reminder to hold fast to who you are and what you believe in. Thanks for sharing.
Jackie

Posted by: Jackie on 06/07/13 at 7:37 AM

Just bought an Arizona poster and love it! Can you do any custom work for a promotional project I’m working on?

Thanks

Posted by: Dallas on 07/22/13 at 2:07 PM

Howdy Aaron,
So I was looking at your upcoming tour/gig dates and the first is New York City - Sept. 11, 2013. I now live here in the city and would love to see ya speak again if its a public gig. But, I can’t find any info on that NYC gig date; could you fill a brother in. If it’s not a public gig, well hit me up for a quick brew and some bs while your visiting!-Hope all is well man

Cody

Posted by: Cody White on 08/28/13 at 6:17 AM

HI, I just saw you on A Continuous Lean, and was wondering where you got that orange jacket,
Thanks

Posted by: Ricardo on 09/10/13 at 9:58 PM

I love you kickstarter video.
Ditto on the “need to get dirty”.

I share you love and appreciation of the great design
from back in the day.

Posted by: John Anelli on 09/25/13 at 11:33 PM

Hi Aaron, Just saw that you are heading back where the BFA began…best wishes for a great show and talk(s). Enjoy the old stomping grounds. Stay warm.
Becky

Posted by: Becky Haas on 10/02/13 at 2:27 PM

Sans the flickering projector issues, I enjoyed your presentation last night at SAA… the only thing that would have made it a 5-star experience for me would have been for you to leave your political views less obvious. But getting past that, I could relate to the - starting from nothing and building a thriving business - enjoyed hearing about your journey - thanks for an inspiring & entertaining evening!

Posted by: Angi on 10/04/13 at 6:48 AM

Hi Aaron,

I saw your speech at the AIGA Conference last weekend and it was very inspiring. It was very clear that your parents had a large influence on you, (I found it particularly poignant as I lost my dad last December and feel the same way.) I am so sorry that you lost your dad so suddenly. I saw him at AIGA and he seemed well. You should take comfort in knowing that he got to see you give such a wonderful, inspiring, presentation that showed how much you loved him and your Mom.

Take care,
Jen

Posted by: Jen on 10/16/13 at 11:45 AM

My name is Jeff, or as your dad Jim always called me, “The Ghoul” He said I reminded him of a guy from a 70’s cable show out of Detroit. This morning when I got to work, I learned of his passing. I just want to say that Jim Draplin was one of my favorite people in this world. He was always ready with a joke….some of my favorite bad jokes were from him. To say he will be missed, is a huge understatement. Jim brightened my day on so many occasions. When he would come to our shop he would always stop and say hi. I’m not in purchasing and I don’t buy tools for work, so he had no reason to talk to me, yet he always did! A joke, a laugh and he always asked how my kids were doing and checked out their latest artwork that is plastered around my desk. The world will not be the same without Jim Draplin, however, I know that the world is a better place for the lifes that he touched and the hearts that he blessed. Rest in peace ya old Polock. We love ya!!!

Posted by: Jeff Janisse on 10/17/13 at 6:09 AM