Gary Longfellow Draplin, Dec. 28th, 2004 - August 4th, 2010
- - - -
A SAD ANNOUNCEMENT: Leigh and I gave Gary back to the universe Wednesday morning here in Traverse City.
That’s the best way to put it, really. A long time coming since his spinal chord rupture last September, it just felt right to do it back home.
We gave it a good fight these last 11 months. Things just weren’t the same anymore. His injury was just too much of a game changer.
He’s buried in the doggie cemetery on my parent’s property in a box Dad made for him. I carved his name into the little lid. Wrapped him up in his favorite blanket with a tennis ball and the only stuffed animal he didn’t completely rip to shit.
He had a good run.
Gary was 5-1/2 years old.
Think about the little man and smile. Think about that bark of his. Good lord.
Thank you to everyone who left a nice note on Facebook or wrote in. I sent a little notice to all his buddies yesterday and thank all of you for writing back.
- - - -
A LITTLE GARY GALLERY:
Our first photo of the little man.
Our favorite shot of Garold. Shot by Nakamoto.
How he’d catch some shut-eye. DDC “Pants Optional” policy in effect.
How I used to hold the little man.
Exhibiting his plush, healthy coat.
Proud son to pretty Leigh.
Making nice with Uncle Coyle.
His record-setting tootsie roll.
With trainer Eric Lovejoy. They got off to a slow start.
No endorsements from Milk Bone.
Up close Gary nose.
Those diapers never stood a chance. A losing battle.
Gary at his favorite park.
Gray hairs, starting to come in.
- - - -
OUR OFFICIAL “GARY” MOVING PICTURE: Ewan made a little tribute movie for the G-Unit. Here it is:
- - - -
OUR GARY LIST:
01. His breath smelled like earthworms or trash. Or both.
02. His coat smelled like maple syrup. I shit you not.
03. He had a soul-piercing bark. Just loud as shit.
04. He had a bone to pick with the USPS.
05. At his heaviest, he was 7.5 pounds.
06. He had the cutest paws. Ever.
07. After he was fixed, we kept his balls for six months in the fridge.
08. Like two instances of fleas.
09. One time he ate a bag of chocolate cookies and swelled up.
10. He was fast as hell. Man, he could run.
11. Loved tennis balls. Both big and mini ones.
12. Destroyed any/all stuffed animals with a record-setting fury.
13. One time he got caught in the arm of my Carhartt jacket.
14. He hated cats. Couldn’t argue with that one.
15. Man, his bark was loud. Too loud.
16. His little “begging prairie dog” stance would melt you.
17. He did great in the car.
18. He loved to sleep right up against you. All hot and shit.
19. One time he puked while sleeping up against me. 4:30am.
20. He didn’t like getting his nails trimmed. Like any dog does.
21. Took on a couple big dogs. And lost.
22. Set us back for $350. The right price.
23. Never took to any of the vets who looked him over. Not one.
24. Took precisely three minute 42 seconds to warm up to you.
25. Had a good, strong pissing stream before the injury.
26. Loved to play tug-a-war, growling the whole time.
27. Certified World Champion Miniature Smooth Red Dachshund.